My introduction to radishes as the star of a salad and not just a supporting cast member, came when my husband and I visited Knife and Fork Restaurant in Spruce Pine, NC. They offered an heirloom radish salad. They must have seen me coming because I’m a sucker for a food item described as heirloom or heritage. Several interesting varieties of heirloom radishes were in the salad, each unique in flavor and appearance. A minimal of amount of greens were included but not enough to overshadow the radishes. Big shards of salty Parmesan cheese offset the bite of the radishes. Some folks eat fresh radishes by dipping them in salt for the same reason. When I spied some colorful Easter Egg radishes in our grocery store, I knew an Easter Egg Radish Salad would soon be underway in my kitchen.
A bunch of flat leaf parsley had been staring me down for several days in the refrigerator. They stepped up to the plate and offered up their services as the green side kick to the colorful radishes.
The dressing is simple and made with common pantry items.
I enjoyed this colorful and playful salad. It’s not a salad that I’d make for a complete meal. A little bit of radish goes a long way with me. I think it’s perfect as a garnish. The colors are bright and vivid and brings a plate of food to life.
Three varieties of radishes are growing in my garden. Radishes are the best crop for this impatient gardener. They emerge in three to four days. Why, oh why, can’t everything follow radish’s lead and start popping up in that short amount of time?
Y’all come see us!
Easter Egg Radish Salad
yield: 1 to 2 servings as a salad or many servings as a garnish
Colorful Easter Egg radishes, flat leaf parsley, Parmesan cheese and a creamy dressing come together quickly for this beautiful fresh dish.
1 bunch Easter Egg radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
several sprigs of flat leaf parsley, trimmed and chopped
2 tablespoon Duke’s mayonnaise
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 to 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Combine radishes and parsley in a bowl.
Whisk next five ingredients until smooth.
Pour over radishes and parsley and toss.
When ready to serve, grate Parmesan cheese on top.
Easter Egg Radish Salad
- Easter Egg Radish Salad
- yield: 1 to 2 servings as a salad or many servings as a garnish
- Colorful Easter Egg radishes flat leaf parsley, Parmesan cheese and a creamy dressing come together quickly for this beautiful fresh dish.
- 1 bunch Easter Egg radishes trimmed and thinly sliced
- several sprigs of flat leaf parsley trimmed and chopped
- 2 tablespoon Duke's mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Combine radishes and parsley in a bowl.
- Whisk next five ingredients until smooth.
- Pour over radishes and parsley and toss.
- When ready to serve, grate Parmesan cheese on top.