Classic Homemade Tomato Soup
Classic Homemade Tomato Soup is quick and easy to make. As much as I love homegrown tomatoes, I find that canned tomatoes yield a more consistent end result. But, if you have homemade on hand, and no canned, use what you've got.
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 medium sweet onions diced
- 3 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme tied with kitchen string
- 2 tablespoons half and half
Over medium heat in a Dutch oven, or similar size cooking vessel, sauté onions in olive oil and butter until onions are soft, but not brown (about 5 to 8 minutes).
Stir in remaining ingredients, except half and half.Cover and simmer on medium low for 30 minutes.Remove lid and simmer an additional 10 minutes to reduce some of the liquid.
Remove from heat and stir in half and half. Discard thyme bundle.
Purée with immersion blender, food processor, or regular blender. Serve warm