Beef and Pepper Soup
Beef and Pepper Soup was born of a failed beef roast that I couldn't make as tender and juicy as I'd like.
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 4 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 medium bell peppers diced, any color
- 2 medium sweet onions diced
- 3 -4 celery stalks diced
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 14 1/2 ounce can diced tomatoes and juice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 - 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds cooked beef roast diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup Basmati rice uncooked
Heat a large pot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add next 4 ingredients to hot oil. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and the volume is reduced by half.
Add beef stock and stir to remove any bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add next 6 ingredients. Stir, cover and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, stir in uncooked rice. Cover and continue to simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.
Taste and adjust seasoning.