Fire and Ice Pickles
Fire and Ice Pickles is an interesting recipe that transforms store bought dill pickles into a sweet, sour, and spicy pickle delight and doesn't require a canning process.
- 1 46 ounce jar whole dill pickles
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 small head of garlic chopped or left whole or a combination of both
- 3 teaspoons pickled jalapeños chopped of left whole or a combination of both
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 2 teaspoons pickling spice
- a few sprigs of fresh dill optional
Drain the pickles and slice 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch. Divide everything in half. Add half the pickles to a large jar, half the sugar and half the herbs and spices. Repeat layers. Keep on the counter for one hour. After an hour, shake well to make sure sugar and spices are mixed. After another hour, you can return the pickles and juice to original jar and store in refrigerator for at least two days before eating.