Skillet Fried Cabbage
Skillet Fried Cabbage is supreme po' folks food. It's about as down home as you can get. When it's cooked in bacon grease in a cast iron skillet, it doesn't retain a large amount of its green color.
- 6 pieces bacon (or 8 or 10 or a pound. You decide.)
- 1 medium sweet onion thinly sliced
- 1 medium head green cabbage cored and thinly sliced
- 1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
Fry bacon in a 12 inch cast iron skillet until crispy. Remove from skillet and drain on paper towel.
Cook onion in bacon drippings 3 to 4 minutes or until soft.
Add cabbage to skillet and stir. Continue cooking and stirring until cabbage starts to cook down. Make sure it’s coated with bacon drippings. FLAVOR!
Add salt and water. Stir well.
Leave uncovered and cook on medium for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Stir occasionally. Add more water if necessary. Taste for seasoning and adjust.
Add red pepper flakes and crumbled bacon, if there’s any bacon left, and stir.